Stansted Airport has welcomed today’s Government announcement that Abellio East Anglia has won the franchise to operate the Stansted Express and other rail services between London, the airport and Cambridge from October 2016.
The nine-year franchise will see over £1.4 billion invested into the railway in the East of England. On the mainline from London to the airport, airlines passengers and commuters will benefit from a faster, more frequent and reliable service, including:
- New trains to Stansted Airport from February 2019
- Five minute reduction in the journey times to the airport from London
- A new hourly direct Norwich - Cambridge – Stansted Airport service
- A commitment to improve reliability and punctuality.
- Improvements to the on-board passenger experience including free-wifi
Commenting on the announcement, Andrew Cowan, Chief Executive of London Stansted Airport said:
“Stansted will grow by more than any London airport in the next ten years so it’s important that passengers get an improved rail service which delivers new trains and a more reliable, more frequent and faster service.
“The new franchise is certainly a step in the right direction and with further investment in track improvements, we could see even faster services to Stansted Airport.
“We now look forward to working closely with Abellio East Anglia, the Government and Network Rail to ensure that the airport, our passengers, the local business community and commuters will all benefit from these and other improvements in the service.”